WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW!
It is usual to walk in the monastic republic of Athos in order to reach the various monasteries. It’s the nicest thing you can do to get to know Athos. Rich vegetation,
untouched forests, scenic trails, creeks, small waterfalls, fountains and many other beauties of Athos.
Despite all this beauty, there are some dangers in this untouched nature. In order to protect yourselves from these, we would like to give you some basic rules for your hike that will make your stay there as safe as possible.
We always advise hikers to stay on their initial path. Outside of the signposted paths, there are many other paths or ways that sometimes lead to dead ends, they are difficult to walk on or are even no longer accessible for safety reasons. The rich vegetation covers some of the hiking trails, which can be dangerous as many hiking trails are close to steep cliffs and canyons. Even minor carelessness can lead to injuries in such cases.
There have been many cases of light or serious accidents. Such as falling down in canyons or sticking in the deep winter snow in hard to reach areas of Mount Athos away from the main trails. All this resulted in rescue teams being sent out to search. Unfortunately it happened that the search for the pilgrims was unsuccessful and some were not found until today.
In order to prevent any danger, we ask you to read the text below carefully.
Before the pilgrimage and hiking, there are some rules to keep in mind:
– Inform yourself about the weather.
– Inform the monastery where you are staying about your planned the trail.
– It’s good to give your cell phone number to at least two other pilgrims who will stay with you in the same monastery. Inform them also about your planned trail and when you are planning to return. So other pilgrims will be able to get help if you don´t return.
PLANNING THE HIKING TRAIL
– Plan your hiking route carefully.
– It´s also important to plan when you are going to start your journey and when you´re going to arrive at your destination. Here it is important to know your limits. A too optimistic time estimation can lead to problems. You have to be aware of the fact that the time, you needed to get to your destination, will be needed at least also for the return journey to the monastery.
– Do not leave the signposted trails. Such unmarked trails lead to dead ends or other dangerous places.
– Proper clothing and equipment are essential.
– Never go long distances alone in the forest. It is always advisable to be at least two.
– If you feel powerless or dizzy, find a shady place and take a 30-minute break. Do not move on until you feel better. If you continue to be powerless, call someone by cell phone and tell them your location and symptoms.
– We advise you to wear clothes in signal colors, it will be easier to find you.
– Avoid dark or even camouflage clothing.
– Adapt your clothing to the current season.
– Wear hiking boots.
– Your backpack should not weigh more than 12 kg. (This is the maximum weight a person can carry on their shoulders for a longer period of time).
You should carry with you
– A walking stick
– Water, snack, peanuts
– First aid kit
– Flashlight and batteries
– Charged phone with activated GPS tracking
– Small pocket knife
– If necessary GPS device. The coordinates of Karyes are: 40°15′26″N 24°14′42″E
DANGEROUS WEATHER PHENOMENA
It´s not possible to make a correct weather forecast on Athos. There are extreme weather phenomena. Avoid the peak of Mount Athos during the winter months. During the winter months, there can be strong winds and gusts on the top. Moreover there is a danger of extreme snowfall or lightning strikes.
112 EUROPEAN NUMBER FOR EMERGENCIES
Emergency situations in which rescue teams, the fire brigade or the police are necessary are among others the following:
– Suddenly feeling ill
– Fire / forest fires
– Terrorist attacks
– Suicide / death
- This number is only to call in emergencies.
What needs to be mentioned when calling the 112?
Say the following things on the phone:
– First and last name
– Mobile number
– Your exact location
– Describe the reason why you called
– The number 112 is always available regardless of the provider with appropriate mobile phone reception. Depending on the type of mobile phone, it is even possible to call the number without a SIM card.
– Don´t make fireplaces. A gust of wind can turn a small campfire into a fatal forest fire.
– Do not leave any garbage.
– No vandalism of buildings / monuments. Please also respect the animals and their habitat.
– It is forbidden to write any initials or other writings on buildings, in caves or on rocks.
- We respect the nature. It is the source of life.
The picture below shows the distance of the 20 different monasteries in «hours» and in «kilometers».
Table of Monasteries of Mount Athos with Status.
Duration & Connections in Detailed Descriptions and GPS Tracks
This table contains the latest information from the international organization «The Friends of Mount Athos -FoMA» (the Friends of Mount Athos) on the condition of the Mount Athos trails. Routes are listed in the alphabetical order of Monasteries, Snakes or other points of interest from which they start.
Source: » Friends of Mount Athos »
Map of mountain routes for GPS in Greek mountains
WEATHER AT MOUNT ATHOS
- Before you leave for hiking, it is advisable to check out the weather.
- Live Weather Conditions from Meteorological Stations
Τranslation: Konstantina Liava.
Development, Offer: Athos Zone – Athonic Zone © 2019